Monday, November 2, 2015

Book Review: The Girl from the Train by Irma Joubert


The Girl from the Train by Irma Joubert tells the story of Gretl: how she escapes from a train carrying a load of German Jews to Auschwitz during World War II, then stays with a Polish family for a few years before ending up in South Africa, adopted by a loving family.  The author does a great job describing the different cultures Gretl adapts to, especially the one in South Africa which is the one with which I am the most unfamiliar.  I especially enjoyed watching Gretl make the journey from watching others' faith to making Christianity her own.

I absolutely loved this book!  From the very first page, I was enthralled, and I couldn't read it fast enough.  The writing style of this author is wonderful, and I wish more of her books were translated into English.  The pictures that she paints and how she describes the characters' feelings are extraordinary, and I can't recommend this book more highly.  As an added benefit, it is clean!

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: