Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Book Review: On This Foundation by Lynn Austin


On This Foundation by Lynn Austin continues the biblical story told in the earlier two books in this series, the story of how the exiled Jews return to Jerusalem from Babylon and rebuild it.  This book focuses on Nehemiah and how God used him to build the walls around His city.

When I saw that I had the opportunity to review this book, I leaped at it!  I love Austin's books, and this one was just as good, if not better.  Her Bible-based books are so accurate, and I really appreciate her attention to detail.  I skimmed through the book of Nehemiah just to get an overview of the story, and found almost everything she included in the book.  As a matter of fact, I thought the story of Chana and her sisters helping their father rebuild the wall was just added to give us a strong heroine to admire, but no!  One of the rulers of Jerusalem did have daughters who helped on the wall.

I really enjoyed this book.  The character development was wonderful as we watch Nehemiah struggle with his desire to protect his brothers along with his need to let them be the men God wants them to be.  And Chana goes through an amazing renewal as she learns to put aside her grief and embrace the life that God wants her to lead.

So, yes, I recommend this book!

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: