Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Book Review: The Legend of the Christmas Cookie by Dandi Daley Mackall, illustrated by Richard Cowdrey


In The Legend of the Christmas Cookie by Dandi Daley Mackall, Jack's father is gone from home looking for work at Christmas.  Jack and his mother don't have much money, so he is surprised when he comes home one afternoon and finds his mother baking cookies.  When he asks about it, she tells him a story about a medieval family who make cookies to tell the rest of the village about the true meaning of Christmas.  Later, on Christmas Day, a man comes to the door asking for food.  Jack shares his cookie with him and tells him about the true meaning of Christmas.

My children and I enjoyed this book, although I must admit that I noticed something was missing from this cute story.  At first, I thought the "true meaning of Christmas," according to the book, was sharing with those less fortunate.  But after reading the book a couple more times, I realized that the "true meaning" is that Jesus was born as a baby which is a better meaning, although it still leaves something out.  Why did Jesus come?  Why was it such a big deal that He was born as a baby?  Such a big deal that a heavenly host of angels came to announce it?  This book leaves out the reason that Jesus was born, and that is a huge omission.

With that said, this book is a fairly good one to add to one's collection of Christmas books.  To be perfectly honest, I have found very few that get the "true meaning of Christmas" completely correct.

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: