Monday, August 24, 2015

Book Review: Submarines, Secrets, & a Daring Rescue by Robert J. Skead


For Submarines, Secrets, and a Daring Rescue by Robert J. Skead, the title says it all.  This book is the wildly impossible but wildly fun adventures of twins Ambrose and John Clark during the Revolutionary War.  They pilot the world's first submarine, The Turtle, to sink a British warship; carry secret messages to George Washington; and help execute a daring rescue.  The action packed into this little book is amazingly wonderful!

Despite its unbelievability, I enjoyed reading this book.  I think it's just about perfect for boys (and girls) who love a great adventure story.  Children don't care if everything in a book is realistic, and honestly, neither do (most) adults.  I got this book specifically for my seven year old, but he isn't quite ready for this chapter book; however, my nine year old devoured it and asked for the first one in the series which I plan to get for her.

Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the history it contains.  The people in it were real heroes of the Revolutionary War, and the Turtle was a real submarine.  Along with the story, children will learn some history, too.  Win/win!  And best of all, the twins and their family are Christians and look to God for protection when they are in dangerous places.

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: