Monday, July 6, 2015

Monday's Quote: Can you Homeschool Your Child?


I've always thought that anyone can homeschool her children, but I read this quote in The Core:  Teaching Your Children the Foundations of Classical Education by Leigh Bortins, the founder of Classical Conversations.  I have to agree with Leigh that not everyone can homeschool her children, and I'll let her explain why:
The most important point I can make is that any parent who really tries can become more involved in his or her children's education....  The first requirement is to believe that it is important and that you can do it.  Whenever I hear a parent groan, "I could never homeschool my children" or "The classical model is too hard," I find I have to agree with them -- not for everyone, but for those who lack confidence.  The person who says, "I can" and the person who says, "I can't" are both right.  I believe every parent can participate in the restoration of our culture to one that appreciates classical learning, but only if they will believe it about themselves.  I believe the strong love of parents for their children makes them capable of providing a quality education for children centered from the home.  (p.  4)
What do you think?  Do you think everyone is capable of teaching her children at home?

No comments: