Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July Reading


I read more than usual this month.  Being tired and not feeling well, it's been nice to "lose" myself in the pages of a book.  Most of the books I read this month were good ones with one notable exception.  I just couldn't put it down because I wanted to know what happened.  Here are the books I read in July:
  • Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling.  This book is a collection of short stories which I read as a child.  I enjoyed them more, I think, reading them as an adult.  This book counted as my book from Asia for our library's summer reading.
  • Refining Fire by Tracie Peterson.  Two people with violent pasts come together, overcoming what was done to them.  You can read my full review here.
  • Your Sacred Yes by Susie Larson.  A great book about using your time wisely for the Lord, you can read my full review here.
  • Using John Saxon's Math Books by Art Reed.  Since we use Saxon Math books, I figured I should read this, especially when one of my good friends offered to lend it to me.  It was a quick read and very enlightening about how to use these books for the most benefit to my children.
  • Green Mansions by W.H. Hudson.  This strange book was my read from South America.  A Spanish Venezuelan runs away into the jungle in the early 1900's and falls in love with a native who is unlike any others.  Apparently, her tribe was destroyed earlier.  Things end tragically for the two.
  • The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber.  A man is sent to a distant planet as a missionary to the natives there, leaving his wife behind.  I read this book based on its being World Magazine's fiction book of the year, but this book was awful.  The premise was a good one, but the author ruined it.  I only finished it to find out what happened to this man's marriage -- and it ended inconclusively.  
  • Second Street Station by Lawrence H. Levy.  A woman in the late 1800's is chosen to investigate the murder of a leading citizen, having to deal with opposition from people not wanting a woman to do this.  You can read my full review here.
  • The Core by Leigh Bortins.  This book was written by the founder of Classical Conversations, and I read it so that I could get an even better understanding of this homeschool program.  It was full of wonderful information about classical schooling and how to implement it at home as simply as possible.  
What have you been reading lately?

No comments: