Monday, July 27, 2015

Book Review: Second Street Station by Lawrence H. Levy


In Second Street Station by Lawrence H. Levy, Mary Handley wants to work for the police.  Unfortunately, in the late 1800's, this option isn't a viable one for women.  Out of the blue, however, Mary gets her chance to investigate the murder of one of New York's leading citizens, although the "powers-that-be" plan to use her as a scapegoat, if things don't work out.  But of course, she solves the crime and catches the murderer, showing that women can be policemen, too.

I did enjoy this book, even though it has some feminist propaganda in it, because it's a fun story.  Levy brings in all kinds of famous people who lived in New York at the time:  J.P. Morgan, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, and George Westinghouse.  Even Mary Handley was a real person!  I've read a biography of Tesla, and Levy seems to have portrayed him accurately, so I can only assume that he did the same with the other figures.

Mary has to work hard to overcome her limitations as a woman to fit in with the all-men's police department, but she does it without too much bitterness.  The story is fast-paced and exciting, although at times the language is a little much, almost like the author is going for a shock value -- which maybe he is.

Like I said, I enjoyed this book, but I may or may not read any more works by this author.

I want to thank Blogging for Books for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: