Friday, July 10, 2015

Book Review: Refining Fire by Tracie Peterson



In Refining Fire by Tracie Peterson, Militine Scott has enrolled in the Madison Bridal School in Seattle in the last year of the nineteenth century, although she has no desire for marriage.  Because of her violent past, she does not think any man would want to marry her.  Thane Patton, who helps out at the school, has a similar past, and as the two develop their friendship, they find they have much in common.  This friendship leads to a romance that neither one saw coming as they deal with their respective pasts and are drawn to the Lord.

I was intrigued when I read about this book, as it sounded like the author was going to bring two people together and have them work through their pasts as their romance develops.  And that's what happens except that the "dealing with their pasts" happens very quickly in one scene, and then it's all better.  I was hoping for something more realistic, as I read about these two people with troubled pasts.  My biggest problem with this book, however, has to do with Abrianna.  Who? you are probably thinking.  Exactly!  She's not mentioned on in the book summary at all, and yet over half of the book is about her.  I felt like that was misleading and detracted from Militine and Thane's story.

I did enjoy this book, but I have no desire to read any more in this series.

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: