Monday, June 1, 2015

Monday's Quote: Listening -- A Generous Gift


While I read In the Company of Others by Jan Karon, I came across this quote.  Father Tim and his wife Cynthia are talking about some of the reasons they love each other, and she says,
You listen.  Really listening to someone is a very tender and generous gift.  (p. 88)
I wonder how much our relationships with others would benefit if we listened, really listened when they spoke, instead of trying to figure out what they're going to say next, how we're going to respond, or what topic to pick next.  Think about how much you appreciate it when someone stops what they're doing and obviously pays attention to what you are saying, listening attentively.  Then think about how your husband, children, and friends would enjoy your listening to them.  How could our relationships not grow deeper and closer?

I don't know about you, but my listening skills need some work, especially with my children.  Thinking about what a "generous gift" my listening could be should inspire me.

Do you listen well?  Or do you think you need to work on it?

No comments: