Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Book Review: The Wood's Edge by Lori Benton


When Reginald's newborn son dies while his wife sleeps, he trades the dead body for the living newborn son of a sleeping Indian woman with newborn twin sons.  This book follows both families during the time in America before the Revolutionary War.  The Indian family misses their living son and try to find him, while Reginald hides the truth.  When the truth finally comes out, things don't turn out the way the characters think they might.

I chose this book because I thought it would be more than just a romance novel, but it degenerates into that.  The story ends up focusing on Anna, the adopted daughter of Reginald, and Two Hawks, the Indian twin, and how they fall in love.  I had hoped that it would focus more on Reginald himself and his marriage and family and how they deal with the switched child and the truth.  

I had a few problems with this book.  The love story between Anna and Two Hawks didn't seem right.  I'm sure there were mixed couples like this back then, but the author makes it seem like it wasn't a big deal, that Anna wouldn't mind giving up living in a town with her family and friends to move in with an Indian tribe.  The author also has obviously not given birth to any children.  The way she dealt with postpartum issues (and I won't say anymore than that) makes it clear that she has no experience in these matters.

However, other than that, the book seems thoroughly researched, and I enjoyed learning more about the Indian tribes in New England.  And the Christian aspects were excellent, as the characters learn to trust God and then to forgive those who have wronged them.

I want to thank WaterBrook Multnomah for my kindle copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: