Monday, June 29, 2015

Book Review: The Mapmaker's Children by Sarah McCoy


The Mapmaker's Children by Sarah McCoy weaves together the stories of Sarah, abolitionist John Brown's daughter, and Eden, a woman from current times who struggles with infertility.  As Sarah deals with her father's hanging for the raid on Harper's Ferry, she continues his work helping escaped slaves on the Underground Railroad.  On the other hand, Eden wonders whether her marriage will last through infertility, or even if it's worth trying.  While she considers her options, she discovers some interesting things about her house that lead her to learn of Sarah's story.

I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would.  Honestly, I was surprised at the end to find that Sarah Brown was a real person and the events told in this book really happened, although a lot was fictionalized because we have no way to know what she felt about things.  Also, I appreciated both romance stories, as Eden falls back in love with her husband and Sarah, well, I won't tell you what happens with Sarah because it might spoil it for you.

So, yes, I recommend this book, especially if you would like to learn more about the Underground Railroad and Sarah Brown.

I want to thank Blogging for Books for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: