Friday, May 29, 2015

May Reading


Looking at what I read this month, it was a good month...except that I didn't read anything from my "to read" list.  *Sigh*  I've got to get on top of that!  Here is what I did read:
  • Edge of Eternity by Randy Alcorn.  I've read several books by this author, and this one is my least favorite.  Basically, it's an allegory about the Christian life being a journey on a road, like Pilgrim's Progress.  Alcorn put a lot of good truth in this novel, but the story itself leaves a lot to be desired.  Coincidentally, Alcorn put an interesting post about this book on his blog recently about how some people love it and others, well, not so much.
  • A Lifelong Love:  What if Marriage is about More Than Just Staying Together? by Gary Thomas.  I highly recommend this excellent book from Thomas about marriage and making it work the God designed it.
  • Then Sings My Soul Book 2:  150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories by Robert J. Morgan.  I really enjoy reading a little history about my favorite hymns and their authors.  
  • In the Company of Others by Jan Karon.  Father Tim makes a trip to Ireland and does his usual work of helping out the people he meets, knowing that He's serving God as he does it.
  • I'm Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley.  Eleven year old Flavia is at it again, solving a murder mystery that happened this time in her own house.  This series is such fun!  But not for children.  I especially enjoy the juxtaposition of her adult insights with her childish fantasies; e.g. she notices that someone else put on the murdered woman's makeup before the police detectives, but she also believes in Father Christmas and wants to catch him.
  • Draven's Light by Anne Elisabeth Stengl.  The newest book in the Goldstone Wood series, this tale is just as good as the previous ones, and maybe a little more straight forward and easier to read.  It seemed shorter as I was able to read it in just a few days.  Of course, Stengl's writing makes me not want to put her books down, so that may have been it, too.  ;)
What have you read lately?

No comments: