Friday, April 24, 2015

Book Reviews: Two Children's Books


In Only God Can Make a Kitten by Rhonda Gowler Greene, a little boy asks his mother series of questions, wondering who made the trees, rocks, birds, and, of course, kittens.  His mother replies every time that only God can make these things.  Well, that makes the book sound boring, but it's really not since it's written in a delightful rhyme and reads very nicely.  The illustrations are wonderful and visually appealing.  I enjoyed reading this book to my children, and I recommend it highly.


The Behemoth Dinosaur in the Land of Uz by Maryluz Guerrero Salas takes place during Biblical times when Job was a little boy.  He and the behemoth Dippy are friends, and they teach Job's village a lesson about sharing the fruit and vegetation around the village, never mind the fact that Dippy would quickly eat all of the foliage around the village along with all of their crops.  I did not like this book, and I do not recommend it.  I think the idea behind it is great:  a book about Job and a dinosaur, one of the ones described in Job.  But the story is slow, and the grammar is terribly distracting.  It appears that it wasn't proofread.  The dinosaur's name is never capitalized, and I don't understand that.  The illustrations look like something one of my children would draw.  In short, don't bother with this book.

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copies of these books, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: