Monday, April 27, 2015

April Reading


This month's reading has more of the same in it along with some new things.  But really, when you're reading a good series, why shouldn't you read more of it?  ;)
  • Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon.  In the beginning of the second series of Father Tim novels, Father Tim is called back to Holly Springs, Ms., where he grew up.  While there he encounters several old friends and makes many new ones.
  • A Red Herring without Mustard by Alan Bradley.  I forgot how much I enjoyed the first two Flavia de Luce novels!  An eleven year old with a penchant for poison is the protagonist and solver of murders, and these books are just plain fun...but probably not for children.  I especially enjoy how the author melds together the thoughts and fears of an eleven year old with her advanced thinking skills.  Excellent!
  • DragonLight by Donita K. Paul.  The fifth and last in this series about Kale the Dragon Keeper.  Basically, Kale and her friends have to deal with a cult that mimics the Truth but really leads people away from it.
  • The Lion's Skin by Rafael Sabatini.  My father recommended this book to me, and it definitely made my time on the treadmill go by more quickly.  Justin Caryll was raised to hate his biological father and sets off to London to ruin him.  While there, he realizes that he cannot do this because it is wrong, even while his half-brother is trying to get rid of him.  The nuances in this book made it an enjoyable read, and I really liked how nonchalant Justin acts while his quick mind takes everything in.
  • Remnants:  Season of Wonder by Lisa Tawn Bergren.  I was looking for something different and decided to try this author since I enjoy several of her children's books.  I was disappointed.  From her children's books, I figured she was a Christian, but you can't tell that from this book...or if she is, her theology is wrong.  While there is a "Maker," he singles people out with special marks and supernatural gifts which the real God doesn't do.  Setting all of that aside, the story, set in a post-apocalyptic world, is just okay.  I won't read anymore of this series.
What have you read lately?

No comments: