Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday's Quote: Do We Deserve our Heavenly Rest?


I'm still reading Richard Baxter's Everlasting Rest, and I came across these quotes which I wanted to share:
And as the objects we here enjoy are insufficient for our rest, so God, who is sufficient, is here little enjoyed.
We have things backwards, don't we?  We enjoy the things around us which are not enough to satisfy us, instead of God who is sufficient.
And can any soul that hath made God his portion, as every one hath that shall be saved by Him, find rest in so vast a distance from Him, and so seldom and small enjoyment of Him?
Can we really be satisfied with distance between us and God, the One that we truly desire?  Can we help but to draw nearer and nearer to Him?
Nor are we now capable of rest, as there is a worthiness must go before it.  Christ will give the crown to none but the worthy.  Are we fit for the crown before we have overcome?  or for the prize before we have run the race?  or to receive our penny before we have wrought in the vineyard?  or to be rulers of ten cities before we have improved our ten talents?  or to enter into the joy of our Lord before we have well done as good and faithful servants?  God will not alter the course of justice, to give you rest before you have labored, nor the crown of glory till you have overcome.  There is reason enough why our rest should remain till the life to come.  Take heed, then, Christian reader, how thou darkest to contrive and care for a rest on earth; or to murmur at God for thy trouble, and toil, and wants in the flesh.
Sometimes, I wonder why things have to be so hard here on Earth before I get to Heaven, and this paragraph helps me to understand.  While Christ has secured my place in Heaven for all eternity, I still need to go through some trials and tribulations in order to mature so that I'm more worthy of what He has done for me.  This is also a warning to me, not to complain about what my Heavenly Father has ordained for me.

I love reading books about Heaven, learning what it might be like although it will be even better than I can imagine.  As I learn more, my desire for Heaven and eternity with my Lord grows.  Isn't it wonderful!

No comments: