Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Book Review: Easter Stories


Easter Stories:  Classic Tales for the Holy Season compiles many wonderful stories about Easter by well-known and not-so-well-known authors.  Several of the tales deal directly with Christ's crucifixion, but several others tell stories that point back to Jesus' sacrifice but not directly.  All of them help the reader to think about what Jesus did for His chosen when He died on the cross and rose again from the dead.  According to the back of the book, it is a "treasury of read-aloud tales selected for their spiritual value and literary integrity."

Honestly, when I received this book, I wasn't thrilled.  But as I started reading the stories, my opinion changed.  I enjoyed every single story, except one.  While I haven't heard of many of the authors, something tells me (probably how well the tales are written) that I should be.  Here are the authors I am familiar with:  C.S. Lewis, Tolstoy, Oscar Wilde, Lew Wallace, and the Brothers Grimm.  My favorite story was "A Dust Rag for Easter Eggs" by Claire Huchet Bishop, which tells a story of a group of children who each contribute to make a sweater for a sick friend during World War II in occupied France.  Next year when my children are a little older, I plan to use this book as intended and read it to them in order to help prepare for Easter.

I want to thank Handlebar Publishing for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: