Monday, February 2, 2015

January Review of Goals

Putting together a 24-piece puzzle all by herself!

This month we returned to our school routine after taking a couple of weeks off for Christmas, which was a needed break, and it was great that John was able to take the time off to spend with us, too.  Then I headed out of town with a friend to the Homeschool Moms' Winter Summit and had an amazing time!  Last week we celebrated Rachel's birthday, and she had a wonderful day.  She wanted to pick out some legos and get a My Little Pony from Build-a-Bear, so we traveled into Houston to accommodate her wishes.  Pleasing her on her birthday was so easy, we figured, why not?  Other than that, we've just spent a lot of time doing school, getting things done so we can have a nice summer break.  Oh, and the weather has been beautiful (at times), and we've enjoyed that, too!

Working hard!  I forgot to take a picture with Daniel in it.

Personal Goals:
Goals as a Mother:
  • Do something (like a playdate) with someone (and her children) once a month, whether it's having someone over for lunch, going to someone else's house, or heading out for a field trip together.  Fail.  I was just too busy doing school to schedule anything else, but that changes next month.
  • Have one fun day in school a month.  We read some books about Martin Luther King, Jr., on his birthday and discussed why the Civil Rights Movement was needed.  We also celebrated Puzzle Day with reading a couple of books about puzzles and doing some jigsaw puzzles.  I bought a 200 piece puzzle, and the four of us (not Mary or John) had a great time putting it together.  It took all of us since none of my children are quite ready for that size puzzle (except maybe Sarah Beth).  We had a such a good time that Sarah Beth and Rachel wanted to do it again after we finished!
  • Take my children on one field trip a month.  Fail.
  • Teach my children to do more around the house.  This month, I plan to have Sarah Beth and Daniel help me with cooking supper.  I didn't do very well with this.  Oops!  I kept forgetting.
  • Read a book about motherhood.  Not yet.
  • Read a chapter book with my children each month.  I forgot all about this goal.  Oops!
  • Do one service project with my children each month.  I earned enough swagbucks for a $25 VISA gift card, and I used it to buy some animals through Samaritan's Purse.  My children helped me decide on chickens, since that was really all we could afford anyway.  And they were very interested when I packed up several baby blankets I had knitted for our local pregnancy center.
Goals as a Wife:
  • Schedule monthly date nights for John and me.  We went to our local pregnancy center's annual fund-raising banquet.
  • Read a book about being a godly wife.  I haven't started one yet.
Goals as a Family:
  • Continue having another family over for supper once a month.  We didn't feel like we had time this month what with my retreat and the pregnancy center banquet.
  • Continue our family devotional time.  Fail.
How are you doing with your goals for the year?

No comments: