Three books that I read this month were really good, and I highly recommend them. The fourth book was good, too, and I recommend it, just not as much. Let's see if you can figure which one that one is. ;)
- Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin. This book contains excellent teaching for studying the Bible and actually getting something out of it. I cannot recommend this book enough! Read it!
- Wings of Refuge by Lynn Austin. When Abby takes a trip to Israel to help with an archaeological dig, she hopes to leave behind her hurt and anger. Instead she finds a way to work through her pain and find healing and restoration through Jesus Christ. I really enjoyed how Austin weaved the stories of Leah (a first century Jewish Christian) and Hannah (the expedition's leader) with Abby's to make a wonderful book. Thanks, Tracey, for the recommendation!
- Gathering Shadows by Nancy Mehl. Wynter's brother was kidnapped several years ago, and when she sees a picture of a boy who might be her brother, she has to investigate. Along the way, she discovers a lot about herself and her parents, and she even finds her way back to God. I enjoyed reading this book while walking on my treadmill; it made the time seem much shorter.
- Fierce Convictions: The Extraordinary Life of Hannah More -- Poet, Reformer, Abolitionist by Karen Swallow Prior. In the late 1700's and early 1800's, women weren't able to do much to change society, but Hannah More was able to accomplish much using the gifts that God gave her. What William Wilberforce did through politics to end the slave trade, More accomplished socially, bringing attention of the plight of African slaves to the British people, most of whom had never seen one. More also started Sunday schools where the poor learned to read, and she worked toward curbing cruelty to animals. This book was a neat look into More's life and the times in which she lived.
- The Story of Dr. Dolittle by Hugh Lofting. This book about a doctor, who can talk to animals, was our read aloud book this month, and my children loved it!
If you guessed Gathering Shadows was the one that wasn't quite as good as the rest, you guessed correctly!
What have you read lately?