Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Do You Want to Know the Future?


When I'm reading a book, I like to skip ahead to see what's going to happen.

When my children come to a part of a television show that's a little scary to them, they always ask me what is going to happen.

When watching tv myself, I like to read a short synopsis about each episode so that I know a little of what's going to happen in it.

Lately, I've noticed thinking thoughts like, "I wish I could skip ahead to the end of the month and see what's going to happen."  And then it hits me that I can't.  But then I find myself thinking it again.  It occurs to me that my skipping ahead while reading is partly to blame for this thinking.

Real life doesn't happen according to a script.  With a sovereign God in control, we never really know what's going to happen next, which is why James says, "Come now, you who say, 'today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit'; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow....Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.'"  (James 5:13-15)

I have to admit that I wish I knew what was going to happen for the rest of my life...until I actually think about it.  Then I'm glad that I don't know.  But I do know that it's very comforting to know Who is in control of everything, and He knows what will happen.  And He will work everything out for my good (even if it doesn't always feel that way).  (Romans 8:28)  Knowing Him is much better than knowing my future.

Do you peek ahead while reading books?  Do you find yourself wishing that you knew parts of your future?

No comments: