Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Are There Such Things as Dragons?


No, of course, not!

But were there once maybe?

Maybe?

I have to admit that I hope that dragons existed at one time.  They seem like such neat animals...as long as you didn't get too close.  Since so many ancient cultures have stories about dragons, I don't think it's farfetched to think that God did make dragons and that they just died off with the dinosaurs.

Listen to what God says in Job 41 about Leviathan:
Can you draw out Leviathan with a hook, or snare his tongue with a line which you lower?  (v.1)  Can you fill his skin with harpoons, or his head with fishing spears?  Lay your hand on him; remember the battle - never do it again!  Indeed any hope of overcoming him is false; shall one not be overwhelmed at the sight of him?  (v.7 - 9)  I will not conceal his limbs, his mighty power, or his graceful proportions.  (v. 12)  Who can open the doors of his face, with his terrible teeth all around?  His rows of scales are his pride, shut up tightly as with a seal; one is so near another that no air can come between them.... (v. 14-16)  His sneezings flash forth light, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.  Out of his mouth go burning lights; sparks of fire shoot out.  Smoke goes out of his nostrils, as from a boiling pot and burning rushes.  His breath kindles coals, and a flame goes out of his mouth.  Strength dwells in his neck, and sorrow dances before him.  (v. 18-22)
Did you catch that part about breathing fire?  Maybe Leviathan didn't fly, but there were dinosaurs that did.  When I read about this fearsome beast, I am glad that I wasn't around to see one when they existed!  But...here's another reason I look forward to Heaven:  seeing if dragons did exist at some time and maybe getting to see one there.  Wouldn't that be neat?!

I don't know for sure that there will be animals in Heaven, but I don't see why not.  And I realize that they won't necessarily be as tame and gentle as our domesticated animals.  But I do know that they won't be afraid of us, and we won't need to be afraid of them even if they don't act like pets.  And I can't wait to see what dinosaurs really looked like, and maybe even dragons!

Have you ever thought about dragons being in Heaven?  What type of animals do you hope to see?

No comments: