Monday, January 12, 2015

Monday's Quote: God's Bigness


During my blogging break, I read Golden Daughter by Anne Elisabeth Stengl, and I came upon this quote which I think is magnificent.  This portion of the book takes place near the end when good has overcome evil.  The Lumil Eliasul, who is the Christ-figure, has just defeated the Dragon, who is His enemy, and the Lumil Eliasul shows the Dragon His greatness, and the Dragon's own smallness.
Then the Lumil  Eliasul turns upon the Dragon.  The Dragon, who had been larger than worlds, and who is now small, so very small that his Enemy reaches out and picks him up in one hand. 
"I will show you a wonder now, Death-in-Life," says the Lumil Eliasul, speaking the Dragon's true name....  Look!" 
The Giver of Songs lifts the Dragon to His face, up to His very eye.  And that eye is huge.  It is as far beyond the Dragon's understanding as the Gardens of Hymlume are beyond Jovann's.  That eye contains the Sun, the Moon, the whole of the starry hosts of Heaven.  That eye contains this world, that world, all worlds, and all Betweens.  That eye contains the Boundless, and yet there is still more, and more.  The Dragon looks, and he sees that all of Time is but a grain of sand within that eye, and Space itself is smaller still. 
"No!  No, please!"  The Dragon screams, struggles.  He tries to find the vastness of his wings, but they are as infinitesimal as his own imagined might.  "Let me go!  Let me go!" 
"Poor, foolish thing," said the Lumil Eliasul.  "Do you see now?  Do you see the truth?  Nothing you set your hand to will be accomplished beyond My will.  Now even your foul work will I turn to greater good, to greater glory, beyond anything you have imagined.  Behold...." 
"Your greatest evil is not great enough to mar My smallest good.  Your evil is bound in the confines of Time.  Your workings only exist for a moment.  Then they are swallowed up.  But My good extends to all Times, all Timelessness, all worlds imagined and unimaginable.  Vain, futile creature, for creature you are, created and sustained only at my will.  Can you not see how all this fire is swept away and becomes nothing at all?" 
The Dragon can see now.  He can see it all too well.
I appreciate this passage so much because it reminds me how big, how great God is.  My favorite part of this quote is "Your greater evil is not great enough to mar My smallest good."  Isn't that comforting?  Our sovereign God (who is unfathomably huge) holds us securely in the palm of His hand, and nothing, nothing, can happen to us without His consent.  Nothing is big enough or powerful enough to change the smallest part of His plan for us.  How reassuring!  And I love the imagery Stengl uses to show how big God is, how the sun, moon, and stars, and all of time can be seen in just His eye.  Amazing!

I enjoy this type of reminder because it is so encouraging to be reminded of my place in things.  Do you enjoy being reminded, too?

No comments: