Monday, January 19, 2015

Monday's Quote: Studying the Bible is HARD


I've been working my way through Women of the Word:  How to Study the Bible with Both our Hearts and our Minds by Jen Wilkin, and I came across this quote:
Being a student of any subject requires effort -- the process of gaining understanding is not easy and can often be frustrating.  Depending on the subject, learning may be enjoyable, but it will not be effortless.  Learning requires work.  This is as true of learning the Bible as it is of learning algebra.  We think that learning the Bible should be as natural as breathing in and out; if knowing God's Word is so good for us, surely He would not make it difficult for us to do do so.  But learning the Bible requires discipline, and discipline is something we don't naturally embrace.  Because learning the Bible is a discipline, patience will play a much-needed role in our progress.   (p. 76)
What?  Learning the Bible is hard?  Doesn't that go against all popular wisdom?  But Wilkin hits the proverbial nail on the head when she says that learning anything well is hard and takes work.  After reading this paragraph, I plan to re-tackle some of the harder passages in the Bible and see if I can struggle my way through them.

Honestly, I find this paragraph encouraging because it means that understanding the Bible isn't necessarily easy and actually parts of it are hard.  There's nothing wrong with me when I don't understand something!  It just means that I have to work harder and dig deeper.

What do you think?  Is studying and understanding the Bible hard for you?  Do you think it should be?

No comments: