Friday, January 9, 2015

Fun School Days



One of my goals this year (and the past couple of years) is to incorporate some "fun" into our schooling.  Typically, we do our regular school first and then supplement it with some celebrating.  For instance, when we celebrated Dr. Suess' birthday a couple of years ago, I read several of his books to my children, then we watched some of them on DVD.  I even scrambled some green eggs, but they were a little unappetizing.  On Chocolate Chip Day last year, we read some books about the history of chocolate and how it's made.  Of course, we also ate some!

Here are the dates that I've accumulated so far.  We won't celebrate all of them; my goal is one per month, but sometimes we may do more.

January
  • 15 - Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday
  • 18 - Winnie the Pooh Day (A.A. Milne's birthday)
  • 19 - National Popcorn Day
  • 29 - Puzzle Day
February
  • Alfred Cralle invented the ice cream scoop
  • 7 - Laura Ingalls Wilder's birthday
  • 14 - Valentine's Day
  • 23 - Tootsie Roll anniversary
  • 26 - Tell a Fairy Tale Day
March
  • 2 - Dr. Seuss' birthday
  • 4 - Pancake Day
  • 14 - pi Day
  • 17 - St. Patrick's Day
April
  • 2 - Hans Christian Anderson's birthday
  • 22 - Jelly Bean Day
May
  • 15 - Chocolate Chip Day
June
  • 5 - Gingerbread Day
  • 14 - Flag Day
  • 25 - Eric Carle's birthday
  • 28 - Paul Bunyan Day
July
  • 14 - Peggy Parrish's birthday (Amelia Bedelia's author)
  • 28 - Beatrice Potter's birthday
August

September 
  • 16 - National Play-doh Day
  • 19 - Talk Like a Pirate Day
  • 26 - Johnny Appleseed's birthday
October
  • 12 - Columbus Day
  • 31 - Reformation Day
November

  • Thanksgiving
December
  • 4 - National Cookie Day 
  • 30 - Rudyard Kipling's birthday
As you can see, I've got all kinds of different dates listed here:  birthdays, real holidays, and some that are completely just fun.  I think our favorite is Talk Like a Pirate Day.  We go through our day saying "aargh, matey!" a lot, and I make up a scavenger hunt complete with a treasure for my children to find.  

Do you celebrate these kind of dates?  Have I missed any other good ones?  Do you have any suggestions for my empty month, August?  

No comments: