Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Book Review: A Plague of Unicorns by Jane Yolen


When a herd of unicorns arrives at the abbey and starts devouring the apples, Abbot Aelian works to find a solution to this "plague."  In a different part of the county, nine-year-old James tries to find answers to his many questions, not the least of which is whether his father the Duke is still alive or not in the Holy Lands fighting the Crusades.  James is sent to the abbey to be taught what he needs to know as the future Duke, but he also might just be the help the Abbot needs for his "plague of unicorns."

I enjoyed this light-hearted, little book.  It is definitely written for children just starting to read chapter books, but that doesn't take away from the story.  I gave it to my eight-year-old daughter to read, and she liked it, as well.  However, I must say that the half of the book is taken up with setting the scene, and the resolution of conflict happens very quickly.  It would have been nice if it had taken a little longer.  But it's still a fun book to read.

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: