Monday, November 24, 2014

Book Review: Adventure Bible God's Great Creation


Adventure Bible God's Great Creation tells the story from the creation of the universe up through Adam and Eve's sin and their being thrown out of the Garden of Eden.  The illustrations by David Miles are colorful and interesting and should capture a child's attention.

I enjoyed reading this book to my children with its accurate depiction of creation and the delightful pictures...until I got to the last page which says, "God punished Adam and Eve too.  He said, 'You cannot live in the garden anymore.'  Adam and Eve left the garden.  Angels were sent to take care of the garden now.  But God did not stop loving Adam and Eve.  As they left the garden,  God was planning how to help his people."  This book makes it seem that the only punishment that God meted out to Adam and Eve after they disobeyed Him was that they had to leave the Garden of Eden; what about the death they brought upon themselves?  What about the toil with which Adam would have to till the ground in order to grow his food?  What about Eve's pain in childbirth?  (Honestly, I don't blame the publishers too much for leaving this one out since it might be a bit much for young children.)  And what about the promise that God would send a Savior to crush the serpent's head and save His people?  I felt like my children and I were left hanging at the end of this book with no resolution to such a hopeless end.

This book has a great beginning, but the ending leaves much, much to be desired.  Honestly, I cannot recommend this book unless you plan to supplement it when reading it to your children.

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: