Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Book Review: Noah, A Wordless, Picture Book by Mark Ludy


The story of Noah and the ark comes to life in this wordless, picture book by Mark Ludy.  The lavish illustrations are very detailed, and the story shines through them with no need of words.  Starting with the wickedness of the world and going through the ark landing and Noah's family beginning their new life, the whole story is right here.

I enjoyed "reading" this book to my children.  The pictures are engaging and lead you through the story, allowing you to give as much (or as little) detail to the story as you would like for your children.  The illustrations show the whole story, leaving nothing out, but in a way that is appropriate for children. The wickedness of the world before the Flood is depicted, but it's not too much.  And during the Flood, there is one man reaching out for the ark, showing that many people died but not too graphically for children.

The story is also Biblically accurate which many Noah books are not.  Noah uses dinosaurs and mastodons to help build the ark which is absolutely HUGE.  Most pictures of the ark depict it as much smaller than it actually was.  As much as I appreciate these details, my favorite is the surprise on Noah's face when God shuts the door of the ark.

Do I recommend this book?  Absolutely!  If you want a Biblically accurate book that tells the true story of Noah and the Flood, you need this book.

I want to thank Handlebar Publishing for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: