Monday, October 27, 2014

Book Review: The Legend of the Candy Cane by Lori Walburg


When a stranger comes to town and starts remodeling an unused store, the whole town is curious.  Only one little girl has the gumption to find out what he is doing, and she gets to learn the secret first. Mr. Sonneman is going to open a candy store!  As Lucy and Mr. Sonneman talk about the different kinds of candy, she comes across something she hasn't seen before, a candy cane.  Mr. Sonneman tells her the legend of the candy cane, how the J stands for Jesus, the staff for the shepherds who hear the news of His birth first, how the red stripes represent the blood Jesus shed for our sins, and the white stripes how we are washed clean by that blood.  Then together they share the good news to the rest of the town, using the candy cane.

I enjoyed this cute, little book, and so did my children.  The sweet story has enough in it to keep children interested without being too much.  I do think that it's a little long for a board book since that type of book is usually for very young children, but older children should like it, too, although they might prefer a regular book.  I also appreciate how this book talks about why Jesus was born, how He died for our sins.  Some books just talk about His birth without mentioning why, leaving out half of the story.

If you're looking for a new Christmas book for your children, you should check this one out.

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: