Monday, October 6, 2014

An Update on My Chickens


I haven't given an update on my chickens lately, so I thought I would do that, especially since we recently completed a big project for them.  By "we," I mean John.  



The previous owners of our house fenced in a small paddock for their horses which was a great starting point for a pen for my hens.  John tacked a wire fence to the existing fence in order to keep the chickens in.  You can't really tell from the picture, but the fence is about five feet tall.  The wire extends above the pole fencing to discourage the chickens from roosting up there.  They might be able to fly out, but why would they?  They've got a great big yard to roam, free from predators.


The hen on the right is Meg.  She is the only one left from my original batch of chicks, so she is about eighteen months old.  The other two are from my latest batch, so they are about nine months old and just started laying in August.


We left the old coop in the pen for extra shade since there aren't any trees in the pen.



In case you're curious, I have two Easter Eggers (that lay blue eggs!), a Light Brown Leghorn (white eggs), a Plymouth Barred Rock, a White Plymouth Rock, two Rhode Island Reds, and two Buff Orpingtons (all of which lay varying shades of brown eggs).

I have to admit that I am still thrilled about having my own chickens, and I still love going out to get farm fresh eggs!

No comments: