Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Where School Happens in Our Home


I've seen a couple of posts about where people do school with their children and how they store their school supplies.  I thought I would join in, for those of you who are interested in such things.  As you can see, we do our school at the kitchen table.  I like having all of my children gathered around me as we do school, mostly because if I can see Mary, I can keep her out of trouble.  ;)  We do have a playroom that we could use as a school room, but then we'd have to invest in desks and such; besides, that room isn't insulated well, so it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.  Maybe we'll move up there one day, but for now we use the kitchen table.


I have a cabinet in the kitchen where I keep the school books that we use every day along with the worksheets and other things that I need to pull out weekly for school.  (The other side of the cabinet has the kids' plates and cups and some coloring supplies.)


The books and things that we need occasionally throughout the year are stored in our library on this shelf.  Sarah Beth, Daniel, and Rachel also keep on this shelf their notebooks in which they store their school papers.  You can see our math flashcards and the phonics books we use here.


Upstairs, outside of Mary's room, we have a built in desk with shelves above it.  (I can't wait until my children are more independent and are able to use this desk and the one in Mary's room for their schoolwork.)  I keep the books that we're not using this year on one of these shelves along with the worksheets and things from previous years.  I don't know why I'm keeping those old worksheets; I think it's in case I get audited, although I don't think they do that for homeschoolers.

I don't know that I like keeping my school books in three different areas, but it's what is working for me this year.  Maybe next year I'll change things up some.

What about you?  Do you have a dedicated schoolroom, or do you use the kitchen table?  Where do you keep your school books?  Do you keep previous year's schoolwork?

No comments: