Monday, September 29, 2014

September Reading



I've been feeling a little "blah" in my reading this month.  Nothing seemed to interest me, but since I always have to have a book to read, well, I found some things to keep me occupied.  I'm hoping next month will be better.
  • A Woman's Place by Lynn Austin.  Austin has become my new favorite author...at least, for now.  This book deals with four women from different backgrounds who decide to work building ships during World War II because of the shortage of men, and each woman has to figure out how this work will impact her life.  One woman is a housewife who has to figure out how to deal with her husband who doesn't want her to work.  Another is an "old maid" who feels she is too good for this job and the people with whom she works.  The third is a young woman wondering if she will still be able to attend college.  And the last woman is a newlywed trying to live peacefully with her in-laws.  I recommend this book along with the others I've read by this author.
  • Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan.  I must admit that this was a strange book, and I was tempted not to finish it.  But I have a hard time not finishing a book I have started.  In short, this book combined Elizabethan (the first one) London with fae.  It worked well enough, but I won't continue this series.
  • C.S. Lewis:  A Life Inspired by Christopher Gordon.  A short biography which I enjoyed.
  • First Lady: The Life of Lucy Webb Hayes by Emily Apt Geer.  I learned a lot about the time after the War Between the States and what being a president was like, but having read the book, I still can't figure out why Lucy Hayes was so important.
  • Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione by Chuck Black.  This young adult book was a short, fun read, perfect for boys, especially since a Christian wrote it.
  • Treasuring Christ When Your Hands are Full:  Gospel Meditations for Busy Moms by Gloria Furman.  This book does not contain a lot of helpful hints and practical suggestions to make mothers' lives easier.  Instead, she shows how the glory of the Gospel, how the risen Christ, can and should transform our lives as mothers.  I enjoyed this book and learned so much that I immediately reread it.  You can read more of my thoughts here.  
What have you read lately?  Do you ever feel "blah" about reading?

No comments: