Thursday, September 4, 2014

Our 2014-2015 Curriculum


Since I enjoy reading about what others use to teach their children at home, I thought I would share with you what I use, in case you enjoy reading these types of posts, too.

First of all, we are part of a Classical Conversations community which is basically a co-op that includes the curriculum.  Through it, my older three children are memorizing an enormous amount of material which they will then learn to use throughout the rest of their homeschool journey.

Math.  We started using Saxon Math when Sarah Beth was in kindergarten, and we've enjoyed it these past few years.  I appreciate the repetition and how the concepts are broken down into easy-to-learn segments, although my children aren't always so thrilled.  I have to admit, however, that we usually skip all the "intro" stuff and just dive into the lesson.  Otherwise, it takes too long!  And since I already have the teacher's manuals, we've kept using it and plan to keep using it through Mary. Daniel is using Saxon 2 and Sarah Beth Saxon 5/4.

Bible.  We finished up Genesis to Joshua the first few weeks since we didn't quite finish the book last year, and we will start Judges to Kings as soon as our materials get here.

Grammar.  Last year, I started Sarah Beth on Shurley English Level 1, and it was very good.  But I've put it on hold this year until I get her writing and spelling where they need to be.

Reading.  I started Hooked on Phonics with Sarah Beth after buying it super cheap on sale, and it works well enough.  Daniel started the second grade year, and I've started Rachel with her letters.

Writing.  We started Cursive First with our children, and we use these workbooks from Classical Conversations to help implement it.  Sarah Beth is working her way through Spelling Plus, and I don't think it will take long since she's such an avid reader.

Science.  We love the series from Answers in Genesis, and we're going through The Human Body to complement what we're studying in CC.

History.  Basically, I'm just checking out books from the library and showing appropriate DVD's to my children that correlate to what we're studying that week in CC.

Do you enjoy these types of posts?  What are you using for your children?

No comments: