Tuesday, September 9, 2014

My Top Ten Influential Books


I was tagged on facebook by one of my good friends to tell about the ten books that have influenced me the most.  Because I blog (and because I thought this post might be too long for facebook), I wrote it all out here.  And yes, I realize that there are more than ten books on this list.  But it was really hard to narrow it down, or maybe it was really hard to come up with ten?  I'm not sure.  ;)
  1. The Bible.  Without this book, where would I be?  On the road to hell, that's for sure!
  2. Heaven by Randy Alcorn.  This book revolutionized my thoughts about Heaven and how wonderful a place it will be.  Before I read this book, I couldn't wait to get there, and now I know why!
  3. If God is Good by Randy Alcorn.  I already had a grasp on how a good God can allow or cause bad things to happen, but this book expanded my knowledge a hundred-fold.
  4. White Fang by Jack London.  I remember buying this book from a Scholastic flyer in the fourth grade; it was probably the first book I ever bought with my very own money.  I read it so many times as a child that it has to have had some kind of influence even though I'm not sure what it could be.  (And I still have my copy!)
  5. Watership Down by Richard Adams.  With this book, I learned not to be afraid of a book just because it's long.  I read it for the first time in the fifth grade.
  6. Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot.  This book introduced me to Elisabeth Elliot when I was a young Christian in high school, and I couldn't read enough of her books.  I learned so much through them.
  7. A Word in Season Volume 1 by R.J. Rushdoony.  I read this book a couple of years ago, and it changed the way I thought about social problems.  They can't be changed by anything but the Gospel no matter how well-meaning people are.
  8. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.  I can't tell you how many times I've read these books, and I always enjoy them.  Now my children are gaining an appreciation of them, as well, which thrills my soul.  My favorite is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Which is yours?
  9. 10-20-30 Minutes to Learn to Crochet.  I learned to crochet by reading and studying this book, and crocheting opened a door to crafting that I didn't know I would enjoy so much.  And since I taught myself to crochet, I figured I could teach myself to knit, too.  And I did!
  10. Horse books:  The Rider's Handbook by Sally Gordon's and Encyclopedia of the Horse by Elwyn Hartley Edwards.  Horses were such a big part of my life for so long that I have to include these two books.  I received both of them for a birthday, I think my thirteenth.  I did not have a horse yet, but I had started taking lessons.  I read and reread these books so many times, dreaming of my own horse.
Now I'm supposed to tag people, and I'll do that on facebook...except for Tracey at Girls to Grow who isn't on facebook.  Tracey, what ten books have influenced you the most?  And other readers, what books have influenced you?

No comments: