Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday's Quote: We Need Christian Community and Fellowship


When I read this quote from Treasuring Christ When Your Hands are Full by Gloria Furman, I realized how much I needed to hear this wisdom because I tend to keep my friendships shallow and superficial.
We need other Christian women in our lives to help us grasp how wide, how long, how high, and how deep is the love of Jesus.  Compartmentalizing our spiritual life away from our interactions with other women is unhelpful and spiritually damaging.  When we relegate our fellowship with other women to discussions of fleeting things and avoid talking about how eternity is pressing on our heart, we're not doing ourselves or our friends any favors. 
Christian women are sisters on the deepest level of community, bonded in Christ together for all eternity.... 
It's true that other mothers can give you great advice on childcare and support your parenting decisions, but Christian sisters can give each other so much more.  Jesus gives us Himself, and He gives us sisters to strengthen each other as we learn more about His love that surpasses knowledge. 
God designed us to need each other.
Thankfully, God has given me a couple of friends who encourage me to open up with them and deepen our friendships.  And now I'm going to work on deepening other friendships, as well, because I see how keeping them shallow is hurting myself and my friends.

Do you work at deepening your friendships?  How do you do it?

No comments: