Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thankful Thursday: An Unexpected Blessing...Taken Away


A few weeks ago, I discovered that I was pregnant.  It was a complete surprise, but we were thrilled by the addition to our family.  Since we were meeting my parents and siblings at the beach, we decided to wait and tell them in person.

We drove home on Saturday, and I lost the baby on Sunday.

I was devastated; I am devastated.  But I was in the middle of reading If God is Good by Randy Alcorn, and I know that isn't a coincidence.  No matter what I think or feel, my mind is filled with the truth contained in that book which, of course, all comes from Scripture.

So, what is there to be thankful for in this situation, in losing a baby?  Here are a few small ones:
  • The trip home on Saturday took almost thirteen and a half hours because of an errand that we had to run on the way.  Since I had to drive, I'm so glad that I wasn't dealing with a miscarriage.  I couldn't have done it.
  • I felt amazingly good for this pregnancy.  Usually, I'm almost incapacitated with nausea.
  • We hadn't started telling everyone yet, so there aren't a lot of people to un-tell.
  • Lots of people (friends and family) are praying for us.
  • Last week was unusually busy for me with social engagements to help take my mind off things.
And now for the big things:  
  • God is sovereign; He knew this would happen.  This miscarriage is a reminder of that.
  • God has a plan for this situation.  As a matter of fact, what He has planned is better than my having this baby.  How is that?  I don't know.  How can anything be better than having a baby?  I don't know.  I may not know until Heaven, but I do know that it's true.  "For we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are the called according to His purpose."  (Romans 8:28)  Somehow what will come from my losing this baby is better than my having this baby.  I may not find out how until Heaven, but I trust God that it is.  
Having said all of this, it's still extremely hard to lose a baby, even one that was only seven weeks old.  As the tears stream down my face, I can say with Job, "The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away.  Blessed be the name of the Lord."  (Job 1:21b)

Have you experienced God's goodness in the midst of suffering?  How?

No comments: