Sunday, August 31, 2014

Monday's Quote: Are Our Children Really Interruptions or Are They God's Plan for Us?



With four children, I feel like I am constantly being interrupted.  Even if I'm just thinking about what we'll have for supper, every single interruption distracts me from what I'm trying to accomplish.  And I must admit that I'm not always pleasant when interrupted, especially in the morning when I'm trying to read my Bible and pray.  But I've been reading Treasuring Christ When Your Hands are Full by Gloria Furman, and here are some of her thoughts:
When we feel that our environment must be "just so" in order to have fellowship with God, any wild-card elements inherit the name "Interruption." A toddler's plea for help with a game is an interruption.  The children's early bedtime is an interruption.  The baby who refuses to settle down is an interruption.

What if God wants to fellowship with us right where we are -- even in the commotion of ordinary life?   Most assuredly, He does.  Consider how the triune God is working to ensure that you behold His glory throughout your days and nights.

Your heavily Father is sovereign over all things.  A sparrow drops its feather on the ground, escaping the clutches of a curious little boy.  A car battery dies in the parking lot after a playdate at the same moment your overtired childen reach their limit.  A pacifier falls out of a baby's mouth just before the baby nods off to sleep.  Nothing -- nothing happens without the sovereign Lord's ordaining it.  He is trustworthy and praiseworthy in every moment in every circumstance.  (p. 74)
God has a purpose even in the myriad of interruptions that we mothers face every day, and He wants to use these "interruptions" to draw us closer to Him.  What a great God we serve, Who meets us in our every day, mundane lives!

How do you view your interruptions?

No comments: