Wednesday, August 27, 2014

August Reading


Once again, I read quite a few books this month.  Several of them were relatively short and therefore quick to read.  Also, I spent a week at the beach, and one of my goals was to get some reading done...which I did.  Only one of these books is from my "to read" list*, but most of the rest of them were worthwhile reads.  I'll let you pick out the ones that weren't.  ;)
  • Surprised by Joy* by C.S. Lewis.  This book wasn't what I expected, and honestly, it was very hard to read because it was full of references to books, poems, places, and people that I'm not familiar with at all.  But I enjoyed reading about how the Lord brought Lewis to Himself.
  • The Strength of His Hand by Lynn Austin.  In the third book of this series about Hezekiah, the king has to decide once and for all whether he will trust God to protect him from the Assyrians or try to do it himself.
  • Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry.  I read The Giver several years ago and had no idea that the story continued.  In this second book which has a completely different setting than The Giver, Kira has to make her own way when her mother dies.  Then, when her talent for creating beautiful pictures with thread, is discovered, she is brought to a special place where her sewing is supposed to be used for the good of all, but instead it's being exploited.
  • The Messenger by Lois Lowry.  In this third book in the Giver Quartet, Matty makes his way to and from Kira and another settlement which is a refuge for people who have left harsh places and people.  But evil has come to the refuge, and it must be stopped.
  • Son by Lois Lowry.  In this last book of the Giver Quartet, loose ends are tied up...eventually.  Claire's function in the society is to produce a "product."  When her "product" is taken from her, as all babies are from their birth mothers, Claire has to travel a long and very difficult journey to find him again.
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth.  I enjoyed this dystopian novel, but when I peeked at reviews for the rest of the series (yes, I look ahead), I won't read any more of the trilogy.  
  • If God is Good by Randy Alcorn.  This book is a treatise on how suffering and pain go together with God's goodness.  I cannot recommend this book enough.  You can read my full review here.
  • Revolutionary by Krista McGee.  In this third book of the Anomaly trilogy, Thalli has to figure out how to keep the Scientists from wreaking havoc on the world which is recovering from nuclear devastation along with saving those she loves.  You can read my full review here.
I've read nine of the seventeen books I wanted to read this year*, so I've still got a good bit to do.  What have you been reading lately?

No comments: