Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Loneliness Part 3: What to Do about It?


Now that we've established that almost everyone we meet is lonely, and we've looked at causes for our loneliness, what are we supposed to do about it?

Honestly, I'm not sure.  I mean, I took a trip all the way from Texas to Georgia because of my loneliness.  But here are a few things I've tried, and I hope that you have some suggestions for me, too.
  • Go where people are.  Obviously, you're not going to meet anybody by sitting at home.  You have to go where other people are.  Church is the best place, in my opinion, because you are likely to meet other with similar values since they are Christians, too.  If you have children, you can also try story time at the library, homeschool groups, or maybe there's even a moms' group you can join.
  • Get out of your comfort zone.  Sometimes, you have to take the plunge and try something that you're not comfortable with.  Do you remember the retreat I went on all by myself?  Sometimes, you have to do things like that.  I didn't make any good friends there, but that also wasn't why I went.  I've been to homeschool moms' get-togethers by myself, and that was tough, too.
  • Be friendly.  Start talking to the people around you.  If you go to story time, you can't expect the other mothers to befriend you just because you're there!  Go meet them!  See if they want to do lunch afterwards.
  • Be persistent.  If your invitation doesn't work the first time, try again.  Of course, if the other person keeps telling you "no," you probably want to move on.  
What tips do you have for someone wanting to meet people and make friends?

No comments: