Monday, July 28, 2014

July Reading

She can't read yet, but isn't she cute pretending?

July was a good month for my reading, as you can see.  I have enjoyed being off from school, having more time to get chores done, and therefore having more time to read.  I even got three books crossed off from my "to read" list*, although I actually only read two of them.  I was inspired by Tracie reading eight of hers in one month!  Here's what I read:
  • A Natural History of Dragons:  A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan.  This book crosses Jane Austen with Anne McCaffrey, Elizabethan England with dragons.  Since I enjoy Austen and I appreciate a good fantasy, I loved this book!
  • One Thousand Gifts:  A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp*.  I had heard (mostly) good things about this book and looked forward to reading it...but I just couldn't.  I forced myself to read the first two chapters, but when I found myself skipping paragraphs hoping to find her point, I gave up.  The flowery, poetic language was distracting from her points which were good, and I gave up for the same reason I don't read her blog.
  • From Forgiven to Forgiving:  Learning to Forgive One Another God's Way by Jay Adams*.  This book should be read by all Christians since so few understand really what forgiveness is.  It has nothing to do with apologizing or even forgetting another's sins.  Instead, forgiveness is a promise that one will not bring up the other's sin to the one forgiven, himself, God, or others.
  • My Brother, My Sister, and I by Yoko Kawashima Watkins*.  I read So Far from the Bamboo Grove a couple of years ago, and this book continues the true story of the author's family once they made it from Korea to Japan after the end of World War II.  These three parentless children (their mother had died, and they didn't know what had happened to their father) made their way in war-torn Japan with almost nothing.  This book is hard to read because of how hard their life was, but it is worthwhile.
  • Murder at the Mikado by Julianna Deering.  A fun mystery set in 1930's Britain, you can read my review here.
  • Angels Flight (The Trials of Kit Shannon #2) by James Scott Bell and Tracie Peterson.  I read the first one in this series and liked it well enough to read the second.  In this one, Kit takes the case of a Mexican accused of murder in 1904 Los Angeles and has to prove his innocence despite the cards, including racial prejudice, being stacked against him.
What have you read lately?

No comments: