Monday, July 14, 2014

Book Review: Get to Know King David by Nancy I. Sanders


Get to Know King David by Nancy I. Sanders tells the story of David beginning with his anointing as king and continuing through God's promise to send the Messiah through his line.   Some of the stories are shortened and edited for younger readers, like David's adultery with Bathsheba, but David's love for God is clearly portrayed.  The book includes many interesting facts about ancient Israel as well as pictures of what it looks like now.  And Sanders adds some of David's own words from the Psalms as she relates each story so we can know really what David thought.

My children enjoyed this book.  Of course, their favorite chapter was the one where David killed Goliath, but what child doesn't like that story?  My only criticism was that it was hard to read sometimes because it was geared toward younger readers -- short, choppy sentences.  But I liked the way David's story was told, and I'm sure I'll read it again to my children.  I especially appreciated how God's salvation plan through Jesus Christ is tied back to David; I think that was my favorite chapter!  :)

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: