Thursday, June 26, 2014

Thankful Thursday: The Little Things


Isn't God amazing?  I mean, first He chose us "before the foundations of the world" for salvation, then He provided that salvation through the life and death of His Son.  And if He did nothing else for His children, that would be enough.

But it isn't all that He has done.  Every single day, God lavishes good gifts on His children.  He gave me a wonderful husband with a good job so that I can stay home with our children.  He gave me supportive parents.  He helped us get a quick diagnosis for Rachel through our excellent nurse practitioner and a doctor who knew exactly what she had.  And this is just the beginning.

But God is also a loving Father, and He cares about the little things, too.  Yesterday it rained here.  It rained off and on all day long, and we are so thankful for that rain because it's been so very dry.  But one of the times that it didn't rain yesterday was when we arrived at the indoor pool for our swimming lessons.  God knows that I hate being soaked by the rain, so He held it off long enough for us to get inside.  It was raining pretty hard when we left, but I didn't care then because I was already wet.

Of course, God is still good and loving when things don't go my way.  Just because I have to walk through the grocery store soaking wet from the rain, doesn't mean that He doesn't love me.  When I'm up half the night with a fussy child who just can't seem to get to sleep, and I pray and pray that she will just go to sleep because I'm so tired, He's still good, and He still loves me.

But every time the little things work out for my good, I try to remember to praise Him because it certainly doesn't have to be that way.  And I don't know why I'm so surprised by the little things my Father does for me, but I am.

No comments: