Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday's Quote: Twenty Years From Now


Recently I read Looking Like the Enemy by Mary Matsuda Gruenewald which tells the author's story about her life in an American internment camp during World War II.  She relates how she struggled with her feelings of guilt because her parents were Japanese and bitterness because she was imprisoned solely for that reason.

One night, Gruenewald's feelings overflowed, and as she confessed them to her mother, she was surprised to discover that her mother dealt with similar feelings.  She asked her mother how she was able to carry on, be  kind to others, and live joyously.  Her mother responded that she wanted to live in a way that she could be proud of when twenty years had passed.

(I wish I had the exact quote, but I loaned the book to my mother.)

This advice resonated with me.  I want to live in such a way that when I look back on my life, I can be proud of the way I handled things.  More so, I want to live so that my Savior will be pleased with my life.  I need the constant reminder that what is happening now will not continue forever, and one day I will look back on these times.  Will I be happy with my reactions?  Or will I be disappointed?

Have you ever thought about how you will look back on your life?


No comments: