Monday, June 2, 2014

May 2014 Reading


I got a good bit read this month, and I'm not sure exactly why.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that we started our summer break; with no school, there's more time for reading...even by me!
  • The Genius of Ancient Man by Don Landis.  It's amazing what mankind built after God dispersed them at Babel.  This book shows you so many of those wonders, and I found the whole book intriguing.  Honestly, I can't wait to get to Heaven and talk with saints who lived before the Flood and right after to hear about those times.  In the meantime, this book is the next best thing...although these structures won't be in Heaven since they were not built to worship God.
  • Though Waters Roar by Lynn Austin.  My new favorite author Lynn Austin once again explores how the decisions of one generation impact the following ones.  This one takes place during the 1920's and Prohibition.  
  • The Healer by Dee Henderson.  Rachel specializes in helping children after a disaster, but this one hit a little too close to home.
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary) by R.C. Sproul.  A collection of Sproul's sermons on John.  Wonderful!
  • In the Garden of the Beasts:  Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson.  (This book is from this year's reading list.)  Again and again, I'm amazed at how blind people were to Hitler's power grab and his assault on the Jews.  I wonder if we're that blind, and I'm afraid we are.  This book tells the true story of William Dodd, the U.S. ambassador to Germany during the 1930's.  
  • Gods and Kings by Lynn Austin.  A retelling of the story of Hezekiah with emphasis on how one's decisions impact one's children and grandchildren.
  • The Gentle Revolutionaries by Don Lord.  You can read my review here.
  • Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I can't help but wonder if the mass of people who make this type of book so popular realize that their voting habits (or lack thereof) are working to bring this type of future.  But after seeing the movie, I wanted to see how the book stacked up.  And honestly, I enjoyed both.
I've only read four of the seventeen books I want to read this year!  I'd better get cracking!!  What have you read lately?

No comments: