Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Loneliness Part 1: It's More Common Than You Might Think


When I told you about my spur-of-the-moment trip to Georgia to visit my parents, I didn't tell you why I took the trip.  John has been working a "turnaround" at his plant which means that the plant is shut down while they do maintenance on it, maintenance that has accumulated over the past couple of years.  Everyone is working lots of hours, and John's days have been starting before 5:00 a.m. and lasting until 6:30 p.m. or later.

A couple of weeks ago, there were some nights that I was in a funk.  John asked me what was wrong, and I finally told him that I was lonely.  Right then and there, we set up the trip, and my mother was gracious enough to fly here, help me drive to her house, then help me drive back home so she could fly back to her home.

Loneliness.  I was lonely, and I needed some time around friends and family.  As I talked to other women about the reason behind my trip, I discovered that every single one of them was lonely, too; all except one who told me about a relatively recent period in her life when she was lonely, too.

Loneliness.  If you're reading this post, I would be willing to bet that you're lonely, too, or you have been recently enough that you know how it feels.

What are the reasons for this post?
  1. To let you know that you're not alone.  Jesus said that He would never leave or forsake us.  He's been through everything that we have, and He knows how it feels.
  2. To let you know that you're not alone.  You are probably surrounded by other women who are lonely, too, even if they don't appear so.
  3. If you're not lonely, to encourage you to befriend someone else.  Even if, especially if, you have a great support system and are not lonely at all, I want to encourage you to expand your circle to include another woman who might need a friend.
Being lonely is no fun at all, but I know that God can use it.  If nothing else, we learn compassion for others who are in the same circumstances that we are.

Next week, I plan to explore some of the reasons that we might be lonely.  

Have you been lonely?  How did you deal with it?

No comments: