Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Book Review: Here is Where by Andrew Carroll

 
Here is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History by Andrew Carroll does exactly what the title says.  Carroll traveled all over the United States searching out parts of our history that have been forgotten.  Obviously, the author did a lot of research before starting his trip, and I learned much about our country from this book.

Honestly, when I received this book, my first thoughts were how long it was and how dry it was going to be...and I couldn't have been more wrong.  Carroll weaves together the history with his travel adventures - the people he met and the sites as they are now, and the result is a fun, informative book that didn't feel long at all.  Throughout the whole book, I was amazed at the facts he relates, facts that I wasn't taught in school.  My favorite chapter was about the Spanish Influenza, not because I like sickness and death, but because it was such a big deal at the time and has been largely ignored since then.

If you like history or travel books, you will like this one.

I want to thank Blogging for Books for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: