Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Fun in the Boat


Saturday, we took the boat out for only the second time as a family.  Yes, we've had our boat (John's boat, really :) ) for two years, and I've only ridden in it twice.  Before you judge, let me tell you about the first time which was two years ago.

Right after John bought the boat, we took it out to a place on the Suwannee River recommended by one of his co-workers.  Unfortunately, the boat launch did not have a dock, so after he launched it, John had to hold onto the boat while I parked the truck and trailer.  Somehow we managed to get the children onboard although I don't really remember how.  As I waded into the water to clamber on, I slipped and fell.  It was only through God's infinite mercy that I didn't break my wrist because I landed hard.


And this little mess?  She was about six months old, and she wore that same life jacket.  It was the right size, but it didn't fit...if that makes sense.  So she screamed the whole trip which made it even that much better.

Needless to say, I wasn't in any hurry to go back for another try.  And I told John that I was not interested in even trying until Mary was walking.


So two years later, we took the boat out again as a family.  And things went much better this time, immeasurably better.  There was a dock at the boat launch so it was easy to get onboard.  (No slipping and falling!)  Mary's life jacket fit this time, and she was old enough to enjoy the ride...and she did.  We cruised through some of the Inter Coastal Waterway and down the San Bernard River.

As you see, I got a few pictures, but I didn't get a good one of John or me.  Maybe next time.  Because this time, there will be a next time.


Have you had an experience like this one?  Do you enjoy boating?

No comments: