Monday, April 28, 2014

Monday's Quote: Blogging for God's Glory



I've been reading A Godward Heart by John Piper, and one of his chapters is about Twitter.  While trying to decide whether to use Twitter or not, he decided that "in spite of all the dangers, Twitter seemed like a risk worth taking.  "All things were created through [Christ] and for [Christ] (Colossians 1:16).  The world does not know it, but that is why Twitter exists and that's why I tweet."

Piper goes on to say, "I am not inclined to tweet that at 10 a.m. the cat pulled the curtains down.  But I am inclined to tweet:  The Lion of Judah will roll up the sky like a scroll and put the sun out with His brighter glory...."

Before reading this, I had not thought the purpose of Twitter (and facebook and blogging) was to glorify God, but it makes sense.  Everything that happens exists for God's glory and that even includes things that are man-made.

God used this short reading to show me that I don't always use facebook and my blogging for His glory.  As a matter of fact, I planned to post something on facebook last week that would bring glory to me.  He reminded me of Piper's words, and I refrained from writing my prideful status.  And I will continue to pray regularly that God used my facebook account and my blogging for His glory and purposes not mine.

Had you realized before that social media were created to bring glory to God?  Do you think that thought will change the way you use them?

No comments: