Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Book Review: Shadow Hand by Anne Elisabeth Stengl


Shadow Hand by Anne Elisabeth Stengl continues the Tales of Goldstone Wood series, but this time the author tells the redemptive stories of Lady Daylily and Foxbrush.

The story starts with Daylily running away on her wedding day.  When she ventures into the Wood, she is found by Sun Eagle and a malevolent force which bend her to their, or rather, its will.  Foxbrush follows Daylily to try to save her, but he discovers that he is in need of some rescuing himself since he's really not hero material...at least, not yet.  The rest of the story follows their adventures and misadventures, as they learn to be true to themselves and others as they, more importantly, learn to trust and follow the Prince of Farthest Shore who is a Christ figure.

I love this series.  The characters are all interesting and fleshed out nicely, and I enjoy the references to fairy tales that Stengl uses occasionally.  I must admit that my family might have suffered a little bit while I read this book since it was so hard to tear myself away from it, but I don't think any lasting damage was done.  :)

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: