Monday, April 14, 2014

Birthdays


Part of this post was originally published two years ago on this date.

Today is my birthday.  Since you're not supposed to ask a lady her age, I don't have to tell you.  But I will say that 40 keeps getting closer and closer...but I'm not there yet!

A few years ago, I mentioned to my father that I was born on a bad day. Abraham Lincoln was shot on my birthday (although he actually died on the 15th), and the Titanic struck the iceberg on my birthday (sinking on the 15th). Trying to prove me wrong, that April 14th is not a bad day, my father looked it up on the internet. And we found more bad things: Black Sunday, the worst dust storm of the Dust Bowl; and a massive explosion in Bombay harbor killed 300 people. So much for that!

However, if you believe that God is sovereign, you cannot conclude that April 14th is a "bad" day because only the things that He allowed and caused happened that day, things that would bring Him glory. God can use "bad" things for good. So we have to see Lincoln's assasination and the sinking of the Titanic as good things since God allowed (or even caused) them to happen.

Anyway, today is my birthday, and I hope that we have a nice, quiet day of celebrating.

What kinds of things happened on your birthday? If you don't know, this site is a good one to check.

No comments: