Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Conversation with Rachel



One morning last week, Rachel said something about "growing new feet but socks don't.  Right?"

In the space of about two seconds, all of these thoughts went through my head. "What?  What in the world is she talking about?  Regrowing feet?  Who told her that?  We've talked about lizards regrowing tails but not feet."  

What I actually said was, "What?"

Rachel said it again, "We grow new feet but socks don't."

Not knowing what else to do, I tried to clarify.  "Are you saying that if someone were to cut off your feet, you would grow new ones back?"

"No, no!  When you're outside walking on the grass, your feet get better but your socks don't."

Oh, okay.  I got it now.  When you walk outside, you might hurt your bare feet, but they will heal.  If you wear socks and get holes in them, they won't get better.  The holes will always be there.

I feel like I have at least one conversation with Rachel like this a day, where I have no idea what's she's talking about.  Do your children do this to you?

No comments: