Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Book Review: One Lost Sheep by Rhonda Gowler Greene


One Lost Sheep by Rhonda Gowler Greene and illustrated by Margaret Spengler retells Jesus' parable of the one missing sheep that the Good Shepherd leaves His other sheep to find.  I was excited to read this book with my children as the parable states such an important part of Christian theology.

The singsongy rhythm of this book makes it fun to read, and I enjoyed reading about the Good Shepherd searching high and low for His lost sheep...until the last page.  This book starts out so positively, quoting directly from the parable on the first page.  But the last page says, "Like that shepherd, God above keeps us in his boundless love.  The Lord God is our shepherd too, watching over me and you."  It completely misses the whole point of the parable!  This story doesn't show us that God takes care of us; it tells how we are lost, lost in our sins, until Jesus comes looking for us and saves us.

If you're not bothered by this type of thing, you will probably still like the book.  But if you look for correct theology in your children's books, you will want to pass this book by.  

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: